Saturday 16 July 2011

Sunset Cowboy Stages and Commentary

I've decided I'm going to use this blog to post some of my working stages and thought I'd start out with this commission piece I did a while back.

I worked very loosely during the first stages, blocking in the basic shapes and shading, before smoothing out the brush strokes with soft brushes (and a paint daubs filter). This gave it a very smooth and plastic look, which I stippled over to give the painting some texture. The finer details, such as the eyes, hair and stubble were achieved with 1-3 pixel brushes and a lot of patience (call me sad, but this is my favourite part of the painting process).

Stippling (aka dithering) is a technique I learned during my pixel art days, but have always found it useful to apply to my digital paintings too as a way of giving them a unique style. It's also what gives it that photorealistic look. Some artists achieve this with custom brushes or by overlaying photo textures, but I much prefer to do this by hand to give it my personal touch.

Admittedly there were several moments when I nearly scrapped the picture altogether. In fact, I deleted the whole project to my recycle bin before changing my mind and trying again. Sometimes even the ugliest looking paintings can be salvaged or improved.

Most of the techniques used for this painting are covered in my previous tutorials but if you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.
Finished Image


No comments:

Post a Comment